Montage of aviation images. Follow this link to skip navigation.
Link to the aviation archive

Aviation Archive: Aviation Heritage

Link to home page
Link to canals section
Link to railways section
Link to aviation section
Link to learning zone
Link to about this site
Link to send feedback
Navigation ends

Filton airfield

Filton airfield

Go back to the map or view all the records from this map.

G1153. Aerial view of the Brabazon hangars and East West main runway at Filton. The river Severn can be seen at the top of the picture with Wales beyond that. A Concorde can seen to the right of the runway. British Aerospace (now Airbus UK) are seen partly in the left foreground. The runway was widened and lengthened for the Brabazon project in the late 1940's, this entailed demolishing the village of Charlton. The new runway was 2,725 yards long and 100 yards wide, it has concrete circles 200 yards in diameter at each end. The base contains 400,000 tons of hard core, in three, eight inch layers. On the top of this was laid 70,000 cu. yds of concrete to form a sub base, again an eight layer. The final top layer one foot thick consisted of 105,000 cu. yds of fine concrete, this was laid in 20 foot bays and dry enough to allow a 10 ton roller to compact it a couple of inches.
To drain the runway, a special balancing reservoir was constructed at the eastern end to hold a maximum of 3,000,000 gallons of storm water. Construction was finally completed in March 1948. The contractors for this project were Messrs. John Laing & Sons who began work on the runway in September 1946.
PublisherBritish Aircraft Corporation
ContributorRolls-Royce Heritage Trust
Creatorcorporatename - British Aircraft Corporation
Datebeginning - Circa 1970
TypePhotographic prints - Black and White
Photographs - Aerial photographs
Formatdimension.H - 200 mm
dimension.W - 200 mm
IdentifierE283996
SourceRolls Royce Heritage Trust
LanguageEN
Relation
Coverageperiod - 02221940
Location.Creation Site - Filton
RightsRolls-Royce plc