Montage of aviation images. Follow this link to skip navigation.
Link to the aviation archive

Aviation Archive: Aviation Heritage

Link to home page
Link to canals section
Link to railways section
Link to aviation section
Link to learning zone
Link to about this site
Link to send feedback
Navigation ends

Bristol Flying School

Bristol Flying School

Go back to the map or view all the records from this map.

G1794. After World War 1 the factory re opened its flying schools. People who wished to buy aircraft, still needed somewhere to learn and in many cases keep their aircraft. The now defunct Acceptance Sheds were used. The newly, in 1920, formed engine division under Roy (later Sir) Fedden moved in as did the Flying School. This is an early picture and the space between the three sets of hangars was gradually built in over the coming years as were numerous other buildings as the business grew. The area where East Works would be is still bare fields and the road, Gypsy Patch lane, leading off to the village of Little Stoke, very much a country track.
PublisherBristol Aeroplane Company Ltd
ContributorRolls-Royce Heritage Trust
Creatorcorporatename - Bristol Aeroplane Company Ltd
Datecreation - circa 1920
TypePhotographs - Black and White
Formatdimension.H - 220 mm
dimension.W - 240 mm
IdentifierE93500
SourceRolls-Royce Heritage Trust
LanguageEN
Relation
CoverageLocation.Creation Site - Filton
Location.Creation Site - OS Ref: 360000 180000
RightsBristol Aeroplane Company/Rolls-Royce